Sunday, September 25, 2011

give your emotions a ♪♫ melody ♫♪

grumble
hallelujah
Learning to
LOVE YOUR LIFE
even when it
lets you down
Lamentations has been described as a book where "art and desperation" meet.  The author gives reason to the "grumble" (because WHAT is the balance...where is the line drawn between the Israelites constant faithless complaining disobedience, and honest "using your words" to cry to God that THIS IS HARD?)
"The Lamenter's life stinks, and he's letting God know it.  Throughout this poem he lambasts God for such things as walling him in, chaining him down, piercing his heart, and breaking his teeth with gravel. I'd be lamenting too.  But the part that really gets me in this book goes like this:
 I have been deprived of peace;
I have forgotten what prosperity is.
So I say, 'My splendor is gone
and all I had hoped from the Lord'
Lamentations 3:17-18
Here's what's so great.  Not only is this guy grieving his and Israel's supposed to be's, but just after he writes--for God and the world to see--these devastating words of lost dreams and hope in God, he adds this: (and end quote)"
I remember my affliction and my wandering,
the bitterness and the gall.
I well remember them,
and my soul is downcast within me.
Yet this I call to mind
and therefore I have hope:
Because of the Lord's great l♥ve
we are not consumed,
for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
great is Your faithfulness. (19-23)

In this book you will find the thoughts of an honest "grumble-hallelujah-er" along with some very good challenges.  Grieve. Let go of fear, expectation, control.  Live satisfied.  One of my favorite chapters was Live Mercy - Letting Go of Judgement.  There is always "more" to the story (for every person you come in contact with).
"Mercy knows that life is hard and that everybody's got problems.  Mercy knows that some people just need to be cut some slack.  Mercy gives breaks.  Mercy offers chances and opportunities...Mercy stops us from criticizing and judging and lashing out at people who disagree with us...Mercy doesn't see as the world sees, but as Jesus does...Mercy never turns bitter.  It's a gift to everyone involved. And it's a great way to live."

About

Caryn is a sought-after writer and speaker. She’s the author of two books—Mama’s Got a Fake I.D. (WaterBrook Press, 2009) and Grumble Hallelujah (Tyndale House, 2011)—and the former editor of  Marriage Partnership,Christian Parenting Today, and Gifted for Leadership, all parts of Christianity Today International (CTI). Caryn continues her role with CTI as a Regular Contributor to Kyria, Gifted for Leadership, and the Her.Meneutics blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment